It’s nearing the end of the year and it’s time to recap all the life list items I managed to accomplish in 2011. The list I had planned at the end of last year is actually quite different from what I actually did manage to complete; some were nice surprises too. Here goes:
Life List Items completed in 2001:
- Cook all recipes in a cookbook (January 2011). This was an incredible ride of adventure and surprises. It also prompted me to expand the challenge to the Barefoot Contessa’s entire cookbook collection – that one is a long-term challenge and you can follow my progress here. 🙂
- Turn off my Blackberry for an entire week (April 2011) – actually much easier than I thought it would be 🙂 We took a cruise and I left it at home.
- Go to the Bahamas (April 2011) – same cruise, we stopped in Nassau
- Visit the Harry Potter theme park at Universal (April 2011) – same cruise, we stopped at Port Canaveral and we spent the day n Hogsmeade. It was phenomenal.
- See the Statue of Liberty (April 2011) – same cruise – we sailed out of New York
- Eat venison (September 2011) – at the Chef’s Table dinner at Peller Estate Winery. Fabulous evening.
- Go cave tubing (September 2011) – On another cruise, we went cave tubing in Belize – the experience was surreal.
- Pet a stingray (September 2011) – same cruise, stopped at Stingray City in Grand Cayman. They’re very docile creatures.
- Pet a monkey (September 2011) – same cruise, visited Gumbalimba park in Honduras. I felt like Russ on Friends with Maurice on my head. 🙂
- Run an Amazing Race-style race (September 2011) – same cruise, in Cozumel. What a fantastic experience!! Highly recommended for anyone wanting to have some fun in Cozumel, something out of the ordinary.
- Ask my husband 20 things I don’t know about him (September 201) – very insightful
- Play glow in the dark minigolf (October 2011)
- Learn how to fillet a fish (October 2011)
- Watch 50 movies in one year (December 2011)
- Buy fresh flowers every month for a year (2011)
- Make red velvet cake (December 2011) – I actually made cupcakes
- Watch all Best Picture winners from 1990 to today. This will actually be continuous but at least as of 2011, I’m now up to date.
In terms of new adventures in exploring Toronto and the vicinity, there were a few of note:
- High Park (August)
- Luminato, Distillery District, St. Lawrence Market (June)
- The Beaches and the Danforth (June)
It was a pretty great year!
There are some items that I had planned that I wasn’t able to complete (gasp!):
- Read 30 books in one year. I’m currently at 26 so it’s not likely that I’ll make it for 2011, but will try again in 2012. Granted, most of the books I did read were fairly voluminous ones. On a related note, I’m loving my Kindle. Yes, I’ll admit it. It’s so light, takes up less space in my purse… I bring my Kindle when I commute to work but still have my paper books on my bedside table. Baby steps people, baby steps…
- Learn to juggle. I watched a video on juggling on YouTube. I tried for about 30 minutes since I had some time. I thought I would be able to learn it quickly and easily. Not so. Maybe it was because of my chosen juggling materials – the only round things I had close by were scented balls in my potpourri bowl in the den. Epic Fail. I’ll try again though. Just in case my career in IT falls through and I need to join the circus. Just sayin’ – it’s good to have options.
- Visit Napa/Sonoma: We had planned to go here this year but caught the cruise bug so changed our plans. 🙂 So sue me.
- Learn the thriller dance: I actually started this and had about half of it down, but I just got pulled away to other things and never finished it. It’s still there but right now, it’s not holding my interest.
Keep an eye out for the list I plan to tackle in 2012! Assuming there won’t be any cataclysmic earthly events and the end of the world really does occur as predicted (again this year).