(Updated Mar 3rd: I got 21 out of 24 right (red ones below are wrong)! Pretty good! :))
After much movie-watching and reading up on what the critics are saying (they even have Vegas odds on these categories…), here are my picks for tonight’s show:
- Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
- Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
- Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
- Best Documentary Short: The Lady in No. 6: Music Saved my Life
- Best Director: Afonso Cuaron (Gravity)
- Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
- Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave)
- Best Animated Feature Film: Frozen
- Best Animated Short Film: Get a Horse!
- Best Foreign Film: Italy – “The Great Beauty”
- Best Original Screenplay: American Hustle
- Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
- Best Makeup: Dallas Buyers Club
- Best Short Film (Live Action): The Voorman Problem
- Best costume Design: The Great Gatsby
- Best Original Score: Gravity
- Best Documentary: 20 Feet From Stardom
- Best Film Editing: Gravity
- Best Visual Effects: Gravity
- Best Cinematography: Gravity
- Best Sound Editing: Gravity
- Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
- Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby
- Best Original Song: Let It Go (from “Frozen”)
I have a soft spot for American Hustle and the cast but after watching Dallas Buyers Club, I think the votes for the men will go that way. For the women – Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence did a remarkable job in American Hustle but Cate was amazing in Blue Jasmine and supporting actress usually goes to a newcomer so I’ve chosen Lupita there.
I was able to watch several of the nominees in the various categories: Dallas Buyers Club, American Hustle, Blue Jasmine, Wolf of Wall Street, Gravity, Captain Phillips, The Great Gatsby, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Iron Man 3, Star trek Into Darkness and Frozen. I still want to see 12 Years a Slave and August: Osage County.
We’ll see what happens. 🙂 Good luck in your Oscar pool!