I did lots of research online and read about tons of party ideas, what worked well and what didn’t. Finally this is my plan for the party. Since my sister and nieces will be arriving Thursday night and the party is on Saturday, my husband will take them out for lunch on Saturday to give me time to put up the decor and setup everything. I’m planning on doing all the prep beforehand so all that will be left are putting things out, hanging things up and putting my costume on (I’ll be Professor McGonagall). 🙂
Here’s the timeline and general idea of what will take place (more details of each “event” will come later):
Arrival through garage door (equipped with Platform 9 3/4 sign)
They will have to hand in their Hogwarts Express tickets at the door and once inside, they’ll enter Diagon Alley (the livingroom)
In Diagon Alley, I’ll be setting up different shop areas:
- Ollivanders: They’ll get to choose their wands (or vice versa: the wands will choose them!)
- Flourish and Blotts: They’ll pick up their spell books
- Madam Malkin’s Robes for all Occasions: They’ll pick up their robes
- Eeylops Owl Emporium: They’ll pick up their owls
- Potages: They’ll pick up their potion jars (Unable to locate plastic cauldrons in June for the life of me, even online, so they’ll use jars – it’ll be cooler to see through anyway)
Once they’re dressed up in their gear we’ll have the Sorting Ceremony (yes, I have a Sorting Hat). Once we sort them into their houses and everyone is ready to go, let the classes begin!
First Class: Divination held in the Gryffindor Common Room (aka the den)
- Fortune telling with crystal ball
- Practicing a change-color spell with magic sodas that will tell the future (more on this later)
Second Class: Potions held in the cellar (aka the basement)
- Make a potion (I found a recipe online that will change the potion’s color a few times and make it bubble up – I think the girls will love it)
Third Class: Transfiguration — this class will be interrupted by Snape (my husband) bringing a scroll from Dumbledore announcing that the Golden Snitch has gone missing (gasp!) and any student that aids in its recovery will get a reward.
Scavenger Hunt for the Golden Snitch
- They’ll go from clue to clue in the various areas of the house including looking for Moaning Myrtle in the girls’ lavatory, playing music to Fluffly the 3-headed dog to open the trap door, and peering into the mirror of Erised for the next clue.
- After finding the snitch, the reward is a trip to Honeydukes (as long as they have their signed permission form!)
Trip to Honeydukes (aka the dinette in the kitchen)
- The reward from Dumbledore will include authentic HP candies: Chocolate Frogs, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans and Jelly Slugs
- Other candies to choose from (I made up some and found some others online) will include: Acid Pops, Unicorn Horns, Sugar Quills, Hippogriff Poop, Dragon Eyes and Pixie Wands
Dinner in the Great Hall (aka the dining room)
- I’ll be “enchanting” the ceiling with navy tulle and LED “floating” candles
- Dinner will be simple – chicken, potatoes, salad
- Cake for dessert (Hagrid will have dropped it off earlier)
And that’s the plan!
I’ll post more details for each event as well as pics a bit later.