Another year has come and gone and it’s time to take a look back to see what I was able to accomplish on my Life List.
Below are the Life List Items I crossed off which brought my total to 290 completed of 441 items. The bulk of these got crossed off during our trip to the Maritimes (which was amazing btw):
- Travel to New Brunswick (I had already been to Nova Scotia and PEI when I was younger so they got crossed off a long time ago)
- Stay at a Bed and Breakfast (in Cape Breton)
- Take a road trip (we drove from Nova Scotia, to New Brunswick, to PEI and back to Nova Scotia (Cape Breton loop) in about 12 days.
- Eat lobster on the east coast (because how can you not??)
- Go kayaking (see New Brunswick link above)
- Visit 2 pioneer villages – we went to the Westfield Heritage village this summer so I was able to cross this one off.
- Make a traditional yule log (it’s in my fridge as we speak!)
- Continued this: Learn 5 Homestead Skills. Last year I wanted to get back to basics and learn some basic homesteading skills. I did well last year and continued this year mostly focused on expanding the self-sustained food situation:
- I expended my square foot garden from one 4’ x 4’ box last year to the same 4’ x 4’ box PLUS a 2’ x 8’. I grew tons of cherry tomatoes (6 plants) and the largest basil bushes I’ve ever seen (see pics below). Also grew parsley, onions, lettuce, green beans, swiss chard, green peppers (but it was too hot this summer for much success – only got a couple of peppers). My strawberries fed the critters and we got zero. The marigolds kept the bugs out.
- I turned the huge bushes of basil (genovese basil and lemon basil) into ten pesto containers for the freezer and we’re still enjoying them even though we’re well into winter.
- I also decided to grow a cold winter garden and enjoyed more veggies through October and November: radishes, turnips, kale and swiss chard did great. The carrots, beets, spinach and lettuce didn’t take. I may have to start the seeds indoors, or start from seedlings next year. We shall see!
The last fall harvest below before closing the garden until next spring:
It was a great year! I’m looking forward to what’s in store for 2017 (see a future post for those plans). 🙂
With regards to my annual book, movie and cooking challenges, I did pretty good:
- Watch 50 movies in 2016: I’m currently at 50 as of a couple of hours ago. Done!
- Read 40 books in 2016: I’m currently reading #23 so better than last year but not quite close enough. I think I need to be more realistic next year. J
- Cook 40 new recipes in 2015: I’m currently at 26 with a week to go – so it’s unlikely but I did better than last year. Plus, Ina’s new book was released and has inspired me.
That sums up 2016! Not too shabby!