I’d had this on my Life List for a while now and after a false start last year we finally managed to go this afternoon for an early Valentine’s Day outing. It was worth the wait. 🙂
We arrived at the Omni King Edward hotel – took the train to downtown Toronto and walked a few blocks up to the hotel in the snow. We were greeted, shown to the coat check (complimentary), waited just a few minutes for the setup/room to be ready and were seated at a lovely table.
We were offered menus and tea boxes to sniff the various teas available. I selected the Rouge Provence (rooibos) and Chris took the Taj Spiced Chai Tea. We were each brought an amuse bouche – a yummy mushroom tartlet with tarragon creme fraiche, quickly followed by our respective teapots. Both the tartlet and the tea were delicious.
We each chose the Winter Tea which included sandwiches, scones and pastries. The sandwiches were brought first and everything was fresh and tasty:
We each had our own plate with 5 finger sandwiches:
- Peppered Beef with Watercress and Horseradish Cream
- Free Range Egg Salad with Fresh Lemon and Dill
- Smoked Salmon & Mango with Pickled Vegetables
- Toasted Sesame & Wasabi Mayonnaise Chickpea Hummus with Lightly Curried Carrot, Raisins & Almonds
- Chicken Waldorf with Crisp Apple & Celery
Next came the scones and pastries. It looked so good – I forgot to take a pic before we ate the scones! The scones came on the bottom plate (we each had 2 kinds):
- Currant & Cinnamon Scone
- Classic Cream Scone
- Served with Devonshire Cream, House Made Ontario Strawberry Jam and Apple Brandy Butter
Again, everything was fresh and tasted amazing. But there was more!
The pastries were next:
- Blood Orange Posset with Cranberry Oat Biscotti
- Chocolate Mint Macaron
- Vanilla Bean & Berry Cream Tartlet
- Layered Chocolate Chestnut Slice
It was just the right amount of food and each item was carefully prepared. Our server was polite and friendly and we were well taken care of throughout. It was a beautiful room and a very relaxed atmosphere.
It was a very enjoyable experience, one we would do again.